In This Guide
A few years ago, it would have been considered strange to ask someone if they knew what is the best direction to sleep scientifically. But today, that’s not the case. As times change and our knowledge grows, new questions are being raised each day. What’s more, the older answers don’t always seem to work anymore.
We know now that sleep position can affect both your quality of sleep and your health in general. In this article, we’ll discuss which side you should sleep on, which direction your bed faces, and the pros and cons of each sleeping position. We’ll also look at the latest scientific research on sleep posture and sleep position, so you can make an educated decision. We’ll also answer the question: What is the best sleeping direction?
What Is The Best Sleeping Direction?
Have you ever wondered if there is the best direction to sleep? Well, my friend, according to ancient traditions, the best direction for you to enjoy a good night’s sleep is towards the south. So, when you lie down, your head must be towards the south and your toes towards the north.
In fact, studies have seen that animals, such as cows or deers, naturally align their body in this particular direction when they rest or eat. It is believed that when you opt for the south-north direction, your quality of sleep elevates and your blood pressure lowers, reaching the normal levels.
Science can back this up. The earth’s electromagnetic field aligns with your body’s magnetic energy in this direction, which helps enhance your sleep quality. Humans are sensitive to the earth’s electromagnetic field. A study was conducted, where the participants’ brain waves were exposed to the electromagnetic fields and the sensitivity was seen.
What Is the Best Direction to Sleep According to Vastu Shastra?
Vastu Shastra is an ancient Indian science that was developed over centuries of practice. It’s a sacred science that discusses the effects of space and therefore, it is important to consider where you sleep about the direction of your life path and your head direction while sleeping. Not only this, but it also helps you better understand how to improve your life in other ways! With that said, here are all the possible ways to adjust your sleeping position as per Vastu Shastra:
- It is said since the path of your life is towards the East, you should be sleeping with your head facing South if you are having a bedroom. In this way, you will feel more calm and free from any stress or problems in the coming days.
- If you sleep with your head towards the North, then you will face problems in your family life as well as work. This position could also lead to ill effects on the health.
- If you sleep with your spine to the West, then it is said that the problems will spread in your life. Not only does sleeping with your spine to the West lead to big problems in life, but it can also prevent you from achieving success and happiness in business. Also, if you sleep with your back to the South, then your health is going to suffer as well.
- The North is the direction of the earth, and if you sleep with your head to the earth, then it is said that it could lead to some serious problems in your life. This includes problems in business and a lack of success.
- If you sleep facing towards the East, then this will bring peace and happiness into your life. Your business will also change for the better, leading to more money and success in all areas of life.
- The South is the direction of fire, and this direction is ruled by Goddess Maha Lakshmi. Since she can be at your service, then you can expect to see happiness and success in business as well as in other areas of your life.
- Sleeping direction as per Vastu says if you are facing towards the sun during daytime, then you should sleep with your head to the North so that the rays from the sun enter into your body slowly during nighttime when you go to bed.
- If you sleep towards the South, then you will be able to achieve success in your business and also with your relations.
- If you are facing the West, then you will see positive results in your health. Additionally, if you sleep with your back to the North, then this will bring about a strong impression that is not good for the body or relationships.
- If you are facing the North in the morning, then you will be able to achieve success in all aspects of your daily life.
- If you sleep with your head to the East, then you will see a lot of happiness and success in all aspects of your life.
- According to the bed position as per Vastu, if you are having a bedroom west of your bed, then it is believed that you will see problems in all areas of your life. This includes both health and business.
- If you sleep with your back facing the East, then this position will bring a lot of happiness into your life. You will also achieve success in all areas of life.
- If you have a bedroom in the West, then it is believed that this will bring about problems in all aspects of your life. Such as problems with family and business, etc.
- If you sleep with your back to the North, then it could affect health, business as well as relationships.
- If you are facing East, then you will see good results in all areas of your life. Your career and relationships will also change for the better.
- If the North is behind you during the morning, then this could hamper health, business and relationships.
- If you are facing the West, then it is said you will see some serious problems with health, business and relationships.
To sum it up, according to Vastu shastra, the best direction to sleep is towards the south.
What Is the Best Direction to Sleep According to Feng Shui?
The best direction to sleep according to feng shui bed direction or feng shui bed position is north, where you lie down towards the south as it symbolizes health, body and spirit. The South, believed to be bad because this represents sickness, death and drowning. Avoiding sleeping with your head to the south is one of the first things most people will do to improve their sleeping habits.
The first thing to do if you want to sleep better is get rid of all the unnecessary objects and clutter in your bedroom. Then, create a comfortable sleeping environment by covering your windows with dark curtains and blocking all light from the outside. Keep all unnecessary noise to a minimum.
Use the left side of your bed to sleep on and create a box or boxed position by pulling the covers to the middle of your body. The only time you should sleep with your eyes open is when napping or reading.
It’s said that if you have a bad dream, then sleep with your right side facing south. If you have a good dream, then sleep on your left side facing north.
Other Guiding Principles From Feng Shui and Vastu Shastra
Feng Shui and Vastu Shastra are both ancient trans-cultural principles that can be generalized as guidelines for arranging space to promote the flow of positive energy, the flow of qi. The principles share many similarities and there is a healthy amount of debate about who copied who or if they were created synchronously.
Feng Shui has a deeper, more complex background that includes very specific formulas for calculating the flow of qi in any environment. Vastu is much simpler, focusing on the principles of Vastu Shastra – or traditional Indian architecture.
The question that often arises is whether it’s wiser to stick to a single theory and practice it religiously, or to mix both Feng Shui and Vastu. The answer depends entirely on the person doing the practices and his needs; each theory presents certain advantages over others.
To help you decide what’s best for you, let’s have a look at some of the common principles of Feng Shui and Vastu Shastra so you can make an educated decision about which one works better for your situation.
The Basics Of Feng Shui And Vastu Shastra
Feng Shui means “Wind and Water” and it is based on the Chinese concepts of Qi (pronounced ‘ch’i’) and Kun. Kun means “the flow of energy” and Feng Shui is all about the positivity of the energy flow.
Here are some of the basic principles:
- Feng Shui focuses on your space, whereas Vastu focuses on your environment
- Feng Shui uses a lot more intricate formulas for calculating and improving energy flow, depending on your specific needs.
Does Your Sleep Direction Matter?
It’s a common debate – does your sleep direction matter? Recent research suggests that the position in which you sleep can affect your health, how long you sleep, and whether or not you’re an early bird or night owl.
Sleeping on your back is said to expose you to certain bacteria that can cause acne. It has also been found that people who regularly sleep on their stomachs are more likely to snore than those who sleep on their side or back.
But does the position in which you sleep reflect on how well you sleep? The sleeping position does appear to affect sleeping quality. While professional opinions vary on the topic, certain positions may promote a better quality of sleep than others. Here’s a look at some of the most prominent theories:
Back sleepers have been shown to enjoy deeper and more restful sleep than side or stomach sleepers. Sleeping on your back can reduce neck and shoulder pain, which can disrupt sleep while side sleepers are said to experience more restful sleep than back or stomach sleepers.
Sleeping on your side can make breathing and digestion easier. Side sleepers also find it easier to fall asleep, compared to their counterparts. People who normally sleep on their sides often don’t wake up as much as their counterparts.
Is It Bad to Sleep in Other Directions?
In a society driven by our sleep schedules, one thing that is often overlooked is sleep quality. When we sleep in the same position all night long, there are limitations to how diverse our experiences can be. What happens when you wake up dozing off in your bed? How does this affect your life? These questions and more can be answered by exploring the science of sleeping patterns and waking up in new positions.
Sleep experts recommend getting at least one hour of uninterrupted sleep every night, but most people average six hours per night. Now, when it comes to direction, why opt for directions that are not good for you? Sleeping towards the south is said to improve your sleep and health according to both Feng Shui and Vastu Shastra. So, maybe try it out and see if you actually go through any noticeable positive change.
The best direction for couples to sleep is south, southeast, or southwest.
According to Vastu, the wife should sleep on the left and the husband on the right. But at the end of the day, you should always take personal preference into consideration.
Our choice of sleeping position usually stems from the following factors:
Your Physical Fit And Health – What is your physical shape like? Are you healthy and well-balanced physically or do you have a specific health issue that must be addressed before sleep? If so, your choice of sleep position can significantly affect how your body heals itself.
For example, if you have breathing problems that can be alleviated by sleeping on your back, it’s recommended that you sleep on your back so you don’t aggravate those issues. If you suffer from a specific health ailment, it’s always best to consult a doctor before altering your sleeping position.